This dish is one of my favorites!
This is the last installment to my Nigerian Dishes series this month.
Rice & Stew is a great dish for those of you who are into cooking rice and different kinds of stews. If you’re into tomato stews and sauces, you will love this recipe.
Let’s get started:
- 1 large can of tomato puree
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- long grain parboiled white rice
- hen or chicken (if you want to add meat)
- 2 Maggi cubes
- pepper powder
- vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions
- Wash and clean rice in pot.
- Add water to pot of rice (level of water should cover rice by about 1 inch).
- Bring rice to a boil, then lower to low heat to cook.
- Listen for cracking sound in pot to know when rice is dry and ready (taste to make sure rice is tender enough, if still hard add little water at a time until cooked fully).
- Chop onions, and clean and chop meat. (You can also buy the meat already chopped).
- Cook meat: In one pot, cook the chopped meat and onions together. (If not adding meat, skip this step).
- In separate pot, add vegetable oil to cover bottom of pot and heat on med-high heat. (If you skipped step 2, saute onions in oil in this step).
- Lower heat and add cooked meat, tomato puree and tomato paste; add salt and curry for taste (be careful for splashing due to hot oil).
- Cook for 5 min with lid on pot.
- Add juice from the pot you used to cook the meat to sauce pot; add Maggi cubes, pepper powder, and thyme. Cook for 10 min with cover on pot; taste and add extra seasoning as desired.
Quick tip: If you are looking for a great place to find African seasonings and ingredients, try an African specific grocery store or the African and Caribbean section in Fiesta.
Thanks for reading.