Here is the last installment to my Healthy Snacks for Kids series this month. Today we’re making a healthier version of granola bars!
This recipe is a healthier way to create and enjoy granola bar treats without all of the extra ingredients added to the kinds we pick up and buy at the grocery store.
Let’s get started:
You will need:
- wax paper
- baking dish (8 x 8); (for larger pans use double serving of ingredient measurements)
- 2 bowls
- wooden spoon/spatula (or glass cup)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup almond butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line baking pan with wax paper for easy removal of granola bars.
- In 1 bowl, stir dry ingredients of almonds, rolled oats, coconut flakes, cinnamon and salt.
- In other bowl, melt almond butter and honey in microwave for 30-45sec (or melt in pot over stove); add vanilla to warm wet mixture.
- Add wet mixture into dry mixture and mix together by hand.
- Place sticky mixture into lined baking pan; press down firmly with the back of a wooden spatula (or bottom of glass cup).
- Cover pan with wax paper.
- Place pan in freezer for 1 hr (or overnight).
- Remove and chop into bars!
Have fun & enjoy!
Thanks for reading.